NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 08:35:11 +1100
Ola Paolo

Paolo wrote:

>just one: go for it *now*, Geoff!
>my only worry is... new generation MBAs' lack of backlit keyboard
>(can't live without) so... what to do if Apple doesn't change her
>mind on this "detail" in... let's say one year and a half ? :-(

Oh. that's a bit of a problem. I became quite enamoured of the
backlit keyboard in the 15" MBP -- although I disliked the touch pad
thing with a passion (thank goodness to be back on a mouse). I'll
think about that.

Why does Apple do these incredibly stupid backward step things?

>and, btw #2... once back home I bought an iMac 27": the ideal
>home/travel setup :-p

Good grief, Paolo, you do go the whole hog! I'll make do with just
the big screen at home, I think -- my current set-up with the 13"
white but I'll substitute the Air.

Brian wrote:

>Have you thought of looking at New Wave Systems for prices of
>preloved, guaranteed Apple products? Reputable.

Know them well, Brian, in fact, their repair department (which is
actually a separate business) has been doing all my repairs and stuff
for nigh on 20 years (they were originally a split-off from Computers
2000 in Frankston which Apple sent bust after it had done great work
for them, they set up in Mordialloc, near me, then moved up to
Burwood area).  As you say, excellent people. BUT I am really
thinking of this one as my last computer purchase, so I want the very
latest. haven't had a brand new one since I bought the original
MacPlus from Computers 2000 all those years ago -- for a figure about
twice the Mac Air I am looking at when the dollar was worth three or
four times what it is today!

Bob Stern wrote:

>If PCMall will ship to Australia, they are selling discontinued
>Macbook Airs at 2/3 the original price:
>MC233LL/A - $940  was $1499
>MC234LL/A - $1125 was $1799

Now there's a thought -- given near parity of the Ozzie and US
dollars at present and the fact that those mdoels would have the
backlit keyboard.

Hmmm -- just checked specs on Everymac <http://www.everymac.com>. The
battery is lower capacity (40 vs 50) with up to 5 hours running vs up
to 7 hours (having worked on the 15" in PNG with 8-9 hours battery
life, I found myself getting very frustrated with the 3 hour life of
the 13" white when I got back to it), RAM is limited to the 2 GB
fitted (in the latest, it can be upgraded to 4 GB). In addition, of
course, it has the lesser (but very good, the same as I have in the
13" white) graphics. Two critical points. maybe I can go without the
backlit keyboard. Damn! I want everything and I want it NOW!!!
(Should I stop watching Willy Wonka?)

Something to cheer everyone up -- grandkids love it (that's my excuse
for playing it myself every 10 minutes!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0k7e5ApFU&feature=related

And one especially for you, Paolo (check the end credits):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHoyM478jo&feature=related

Warm regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business writer, editor, publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty
shapes?" -- the world's ONLY scientifically based guide to type and
layout, and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising for small
business: "How to make great ads for (small) business: 99 real world
advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or
http://www.worsleypress.com