NISUS Archives

February 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:20:22 +1100
It has taken me some time to go from an iMac to adding an iPad, first, and then an iPhone.

The latter two came as pre-loved demo devices from Apple and were at a significant discount; the iMac was also preloved.

Bringing the operation of all three devices together is an intelligent move by Apple. I fail to see what all the hoohaa is about. I happen to enjoy using all three and I try to update all software as it comes along. I don't have to worry about earlier systems and applications but it seems to me, that if you depend on older software versions and you have the older machines to work these properly, what is the pressure to upgrade?

Do we want Apple to continue to be a dominant force in providing software and hardware which is integrated and designed to reject foreign attacks, or do we just let it rot? The future is in the hands of persons much younger than many of us on this list - at lest that is a guess, apologies if wrong - and younger users are not interested in being tied down to a desk. Communication with mobility is required; this is clear from Apple's sales listing recently.

Thus if a mobile operating system ['the iOS' variety] can be ported to a desktop-tied device [iMac], moving from one to the other is simple. No other manufacture/software-developer can do this, and persons possibly two-generations younger than me are showing how they prefer. I have found that reading newspapers, books, PDFs, etc on iPad are much easier for me than having to hold a newspaper or book in the hand.

But I do not use many of Apple's software applications - deliberately Numbers and Pages in particular - because better third-party versions are available and it is the third-party developers who have made Apple Number One. They know the rules and we users benefit.

All I can ask 'if your systems are satisfactory, why worry about changes'. Also adding memory and larger external hard drives is not expensive.

Regards from brianF