NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:18:39 -0500
On Aug 24, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Jon Johanning wrote:

> On 8/24/11 12:13 PM, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
>> Here are two videos about Lion that have caused considerable controversy. They are not for the faint-hearted. The script was written by Geoffrey Heard, I think. :-)
>
> He claims to be a great Mac fan, but pronounces "OS X" as "oh ess ex." Clearly he is not a Mac expert, judging from that fact alone.

I noticed that. Only Windows users say "oh ess ex."

> There is nothing forcing users to go from 10.6 to 10.7; it's completely up to every individual. (Unless you belong to some sort of organization that forces you.) A lot of people should probably not do it. (Although they might feel that they are being kicked to the side of the road as not-quite-with-it old fogies. Many folks tend to get rather emotional about their computers, especially Mac folks.) There are also those who swear they have to use software which requires Rosetta to run, of course.

I still have a 2001 iMac that can only run Tiger. I keep it around because (a) it still works and (b) I can still get a lot of things done with it that don't require the features of later versions of OS X.  My sister uses my 2002 G3 iBook that can only run Tiger, but she surfs the web, does e-mail, and her grandchildren do school work (when not on Facebook, of course) using a licensed version of Office 2004. For papers, presentations and spreadsheets (yes, all these things are now taught in middle school!), they have no need for a later OS.
I have a black MacBook that is Core Duo and can't run Lion, but a good friend is going to buy it because he mainly needs to upgrade from an old iBook (my old G4) so he can sync his iPhone and iPod touch.
Even if my sister and my friend could upgrade to Lion, they have no need.

> I think those who will appreciate Lion most are those with laptops or accessory trackpads, because using all the gestures really makes a big difference (for the better, I believe) in one's Mac experience. Also, if you are someone who prefers to keep doing things the way you are used to, and seeing your monitor look the way it used to, it may be best not to try Lion, or at least wait for a while to see how the next few updates change it.

The gestures and Mission Control are a delight on a Mac laptop and quite useful with a trackpad on an iMac.

> Personally, I think constant change is the essential nature of the computer universe, and it's better to go with it than to fight it. But I can understand how it would be possible for some people to have a "f*** you, Lion" response, like this fellow.

And, as we both said, there are some - many, in fact - who don't _need_ to "go with it."  To "go with it" is something we choose, not something Apple forces upon us.

Gary