NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
paolo savonuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 22:38:25 +0100
On 22/dic/2010, at 22.12, THDW wrote:

> 'The true story of the life of Gavino Ledda, the son of a Sardinian shepherd, and how he managed to escape his harsh, almost barbaric existence by slowly educating himself, despite violent opposition from his brutal father.'

... the very best of his writings are two extraordinary poetry collections (almost entirely in sardinian dialect): "Aurum Tellus" and "I Cimenti dell'Agnello". nothing in common with "Padre Padrone"

> I am seriously thinking of retiring to Sardinia next year. And not just for the goats.

Sardinia, altogether with some greek islands and the southern coast of Turkey, is one of those places I have first known some thirty/thirtyfive years ago and now... I'm scared as hell going back to :-(
my sardinian friend's grandma, every day at noon, used to say "this ricotta isn't fresh anymore" and, as nothing was to be wasted, proceeded to cook (actually "smoke") it. NB: each day, at 6 in the morning, the farmer milked the sheeps and immediately afterwards prepared the ricotta ;-)
--
paolo