NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:19:59 +1000
You're back on X.6.8.  I'm thinking of moving
back to X.6.7. Since going to X.6.8 I've had a
number of instances where my mouse has stopped
working. I can reactivate it by unplugging it
then plugging it back in or by doing a click with
the trackpad.

I'm keeping a close watch on it to see whether a
particular combination of apps is involved.

At 11:02 PM +0200 18/8/11, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
>On 16.08.2011, at 02:26, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>
>  > Track pad gestures?>
>  > I've turned most of them off because:
>  >
>>  (a) I can't be bothered remembering them.
>
>They can be customized so remembering is not difficult.

Clearly, Žorvaršur, you're either not old enough
or you have a more extendable set of genes that I
have!  :)

>If there were more gestures (like in Lion) I
>would use the trackpad with Exposé & Spaces.

I don't use either. No usefulness for me.

>  > (c) I'd much rather use a practical mouse --
>my $15 optical two button+wheel
>USB-with-retractable-tail mini-mouse. Spot on
>performance, so light I can move it with a
>finger tip, accurate, immediate response.
>>
>>  AND its battery never runs out because it doesn't have one!
>
>The trick is to use *both* mouse and the
>trackpad (on MacBooks.) I bought a no-name mouse
>produced in China last year for 6 Euro and
>that's the best mouse I have ever used!!!  It
>has three years guarantee and inside the package
>there is an address in the U.S.A. to which I am
>supposed to send the mouse in case it has to be
>repaired. Considering the fact that it only cost
>6 Euro the guarantee and the address in the
>U.S.A. is a real joke. :-)

When you say "produced in China " you mean, of
course, just like your Mac! (Or did they find an
even cheaper place?)  :)  My mouse, too, is made
in China and it's called "Rock". A website is
offered: "rockrock.com.au".Just looked it up --
they are an Australian importer.
http://rockrock.com.au/product/product.php?en=en&class1=7&class2=8&class3=27
-- mine's the red one -- easier to see on the
desk and thus less likely to be left behind!  :)

But as you say -- use both. I do to a tiny
extent. Scrolling in Firefox, for example.

I've been using Firefox for some years now -- but
they've just moved to v.4 and proudly boast that
they've got an "all new" interface. Dickheads!
Don't they realize that's a disincentive? In
fact, I tried v.4 and found a couple of elements
in the interface that I didn't like so I reverted
to v.3.x.x which they continue to update, by the
wayl

Cheers, geoff