NISUS Archives

April 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 00:03:06 +0900
On Apr 7, 2010, at 6:04 AM, Hajj Ali wrote:

> I was able to enter the 2 zeroes. However, I do not know if they have any effect on the situation.

NWP seems to be affected by another bug preventing it from updating the layout immediately and properly. A sure way to force NWP to update the layout would be to do other changes to the document. As theys may make the situation worse, use a copy of the document, not the original.

1. Save it with a different name;

2. Select All;

3. Make the margins narrower so that the text area becomes larger;

4. In Footnote in the Style sheet, make Gutter Height smaller;

5. Save and close it;

6. Reopen it.

Theoretically speaking, the steps 3 and 4 as well as a smaller Multi-page Threshold setting *should* make the situation better but I'm afraid it would be impossible to remove all the blank pages by this kind of operation. If the document is not confidential, please send it to them so that they can know the nature of the bugs. I already sent them a file presenting a similar symptom but it is a French document and I'm suspecting a layout bug specific to Arabic script is involved in your case.

In the meantime, you can use OpenOffice or Word for Window to produce a normal printout or pdf, I think. In Windows (running in Virtual Box), sometimes I use a free PDF generator called doPDF which works fine except for url links.
<http://www.dopdf.com/>

In Snow Leopard at least, Preview allows you to remove blank pages or any pages from a pdf if page numbers do not matter for you.

Kino