NISUS Archives

June 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:12:52 +1000
At 5:23 PM +0200 8/6/11, Žorvaršur Davķšsson wrote:
>On 08.06.2011, at 12:27, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>
>  > I have the strong feeling that there is
>nothing in it for me. Certainly not enough to
>compensate for the loss of Rosetta.
>
>Here is a nice video which should start
>automatically after you click the link:
>
>http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/#video-lion
>
>The Launcher reminds me strongly of QuickPick
>and Overflow. Of the two Overflow is better.
>QuickPick looks better but looses track of
>aliases if you move applications from the
>original location. Overflow does a similar job
>but doesn't loose track of the applications if
>you move them. Ergo, Overflow is better.
>
>Mission Control reminds me of WindowShade X, the
>way the window size is reduced and a small
>application icon is displayed at the bottom,
>exactly like in WindowShade X.
>
>Auto Saving and Versions are also nice, new
>features. And the price is amazing.

Well, here's the thing -- first up, I need to
keep Rosetta because it is required for running
Canvas X which is one of my primary programs.
There is simply no replacement for it. Full stop.

Since I will be sticking with X.6.x to retain
Rosetta, that allows me to continue to use other
legacy programs, Eudora for email and Personal
Organizer 4.5. While they are not as central to
my requirements as Canvas, I wouldn't want to
lose them either.

Multitouch gestures. This stuff  is just a bloody
nuisance as far as I am concerned. Is this MORE
gestures? I haven't learned the ones for X.6.x
yet -- and I never will. I use a $15 two button
mouse. I wish plugging it in would disable the
touchpad, it is far too sensitive and it keeps
doing unexpected things.

Full-screen apps. Huh? No interest.

App store. Yeah, yeah. I've got that in Snow
Leopard. I've bought the one thing I'm ever going
to buy from it, Aperture 3, and dumped it in the
rubbish bin in disgust. One of the bluntest tools
I've ever come across, Apple should be ashamed of
it. On my 2010 MacBook Pro, it runs like sludge.

Launch pad. The dock's fine, thanks.

etc., etc.

Apart from my required of Rosetta, the OS X
interface already has a whole lot of stuff I
don't use; Lion strikes me as having even more
pretty, pretty stuff or solutions to problems I
don't have, requiring ever more computing power.

"Mission Control" -- the name says it all. We're
in the space age, buddy, and the war on terror,
where everything of consequence is a Mission and
we must have a proper Control centre for those
vital missions! Reminds me of the acres of
chrome, huge fins, and massive after-burning tail
lights on 1960s cars.

http://xkcd.com/676/ applies!!!   :D

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press