NISUS Archives

March 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:08:00 +0000
> On 20 Mar 2015, at 00:41, Ferren MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I need to type a Syriac ayn and lam. There's a $70 Syriac font, but tht's expensive for 2 letters, and i haven't found a syriac keyboard layout. Anybody have a work-around for this?

In the latest Mac OS, there are two Syriac keyboard layout files (accessed from System Preferences>Keyboard>Input Sources).

If you don’t have these on your System, you can insert the two characters from Character Viewer. If you enter 'Syriac' in Character Viewer's Search box, it will reveal all Syriac glyphs available. Double-clicking a glyph will enter the character at the cursor location.

There may already be a font on your System which can display the two characters; if not, you can find free Syriac fonts available for download from the net.

Hamid