NISUS Archives

February 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 20:56:29 +1100
Good for David Pogues. I hope he has a nice life as a shill for the
big software developers. If he thinks there is "progress" on OS X or
whatever, he needs some head surgery. It is not "progress" as in
moving forward, that would be action. What we have is activity, not
action. It is like the car industry in the 60s and 70s putting more
chrome bits on the car, but essentially, the car isn't going anywhere.

But in any case, his warning isn't relevant here -- this wasn't an
upgrade or whatever, it was a simple "security update" -- it was
supposed to protect the integrity of the OS. Instead, it broke an
important feature -- the key feature for most of those still using it.

Now -- as for it being the game I have "signed up to play". Well, I
didn't. I signed up to DTP books on a funny little beige box. It
actually worked very well. Except for one thing. I had to buy a third
party program to manage my fonts. 25 years later, I STILL have to buy
a third party program to manage my fonts menus. Apple STILL hasn't
built it into their much vaunted OS. What a joke!

As for being frozen in time -- I bought a mid-2010 13" MBP just this
week as a back-up to my present one. it's set up with OS X.6.8 of
course.

If Apple wants to bring a lot of serious people along with them, it
needs to supply their needs. The OS is the least of those. For me,
Canvas is much more important than OS X. For others, I know
AppleWorks is their key -- and what a great program that was. The key
element of both these programs, Canvas and Appleworks, is their
stellar level of integration and user friendliness. There is no other
program like them.

Progress. Hrrmph!

Cheers, geoff