NISUS Archives

June 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:18:10 +0900
Hello,

This is a question to those using OS 10.6 and Japanese. My new iMac
arrived, and I spent several days to set it up to make a usable
environment. Now, I think I have almost arrived at my aim.

I have several questions. Here is one which intrigued me very much: in
System Preferences > Language & Text > Text > Word Break, I selected
"Japanese". In previous OSs, this made a change in the behaviour of
text engine, when we select a "word" by double-clicking in Japanese
text: this used to select a chunk of Hiraganas, or Katakanas, or
Kanjis, etc. -- but I noticed that on my new iMac, double-clicking a
Japanese text selects only one character at once (although when using
Shift + Option + Arrow key, this selects what is expected [a chunk of
Hiraganas, or Katakanas, or Kanjis, etc.]).

Is this normal? How can we change this behaviour?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,