NISUS Archives

June 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Aller Spanninga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 16:46:28 +1200
This question is so basic it will probably be trampled underfoot by
you veteran Nisus-stalwarts. But here goes, anyway: having dusted off
a half-finished Dutch magazine contribution started some time ago I
noticed NWP underlines most words in red. Hardly surprising: under
Preferences - Languages, NWP is set to English (U.S.) and all my
attempts to reset that default to another language have so far failed
miserably, nor have I found any solace in the NWP User Manual on this
matter. After selecting "Dutch" under Preferences -- Languages and
ditto in the Spelling Window, that latter selection flips back to
"English (U.S.)" right after the first 'correction'. This is how it
works: the spell checker stops on the first (correctly spelt) Dutch
word and offers to change it into … that very same Dutch word. Accept
the offer and the checker promptly jumps to the next correctly spelt
Dutch word but also snaps back to its "English (U.S.)" default. Re-
select "Dutch" and accept the new non-change, then the language
instantly flips back to "English (U.S.)" and so on and so forth. This
is the junction where I grit my teeth and give up, muttering
unprintables.
Chances are it's just me being inept. If so, what is it I am missing
or what steps am I omitting? Until somebody sets me straight I'll be
using Pages as my primary workhorse. Shame though, I also need to
write RTL Malay text in an Arabic-based font (viz. the Jawi script)
which is one of the main reasons I bought NWP in the first place.
In summary: how does one reset the NWP default language to anything
other than (grrrr) "English (U.S.)" and how does one make the spell
checker follow suit, at least until the next NWP re-start?

Aller Spanninga MSc
New Plymouth
New Zealand