NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:27:56 +1100
hello all

This has happened before but I can't remember what the fix was. I've
just installed a new and *BIGGER* HD in the old 13" white MacBook.
Before installing, I made 2 (two, count them!) full back-ups of all
contents on the HD using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Upon transferring this to the new HD, I ended up with everything
everything working fine (even though I dropped the pocketable WD HD
used for one of the back-ups and for the restoration in the interim
-- but not from a great height!), except for a question mark,
denoting "This item cannot be found", in the tool bar of the HD
window.

Switching on text in the "View" menu reveals this to be a file of
which there are four copies in different places on the HD -- in the
folders where they ought to be.

The usual search process finds them fine!

How do I get rid of the question mark?

By the way -- a while ago I was asking about the MacBook Air or Pro
13" with a view to switching and pensioning off the MacBook 13 white.
In the end, I didn't. I'm just used to this thing.

Instead, I upgraded the MacBook 13" by buying a spare battery to give
myself 6 hours running time, a card reader so I can plug in my SD
cards from cameras, and a 320 GB 7200 rpm HD to replace the 200 GB
7200 rpm HD I had in it -- all for a total of $130 with the help of
eBay.

I feel remarkably virtuous, but also stupid. One reason for switching
was to reduce weight . . . I have icnreased weight by about half a
kiloogram (1 pound). Ah well, I can compensate for that by losing the
same in body weight!!!  :D

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online