NISUS Archives

September 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:42:13 +0900
On Sep 15, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Mike Robbins wrote:

> It really is the logon screen that concerns me. When I first installed 10.6.4, the logon screen showed only my name and the password box. The screen now shows my name and "Other" and I have to make a selection before I see the password box. This is really no big deal, but I wonder how it got there and why I can't switch it back to the way it was.

Have you enabled the root? I guess so because, assuming it is not a system trouble nor a bug...

1. The existence of "Other..." button suggests that there is a user other than you;
2. However, a normal user should have his/her button in the login window;
3. Also, that other person does not appear in the Account System Pref.

The only user I know to have such a peculiarity is the root user.

If so and if you want to get rid of him (or her?), open '/System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.app' and do ':Edit:Disable Root User'.

Kino