NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Anne Cuneo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2010 14:03:24 -0500
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:05:07 +1100, Geoffrey Heard
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Anne
>
>Hmmm -- on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the
>11th month, we in Oz have Remembrance Day ...
>marking the end of WWI, a war in whcih between
>50,000 and 60,000 Australians (well, Australian
>residents, a lot of them were immigrants) died.
>In fact, more than twice as many Australian died
>in WWI than in WWII. Amazing carnage in WWI.
>
>Cheers (or something), geoff

I seldom go to this 11.11. Carnival thing, but it happens. Once, around 1990,
there was this old gentleman standing there, and saying the same thing: on
11.11 one should remember the dead of WWI, where he had been a young
recruit during the last months of that war, the worst carnage anyone had seen
up to then.
It was very impressive, because one of the organizer then climbed on the
shoulders of another in the three minutes silence which precede the