LLTI Archives

September 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:59:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:56:48 +0800
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6296.human touch in the lab

------------------

We have a nearly all digital lab, and while we are going to acquire
or design a time and task accounting system, there is a lot of human
contact involved here.  First of all, faculty are expected to
contribute one half of their office hours to working in the lab,
helping students.  When I am not on duty (16 to 18 hours per week),
and I peek in, I often see faculty working with groups of students at
machines. Students sign up for 2 hours per week.  We are currently
running an estimated 720 hours of student tech-supported activity per
week in a lab where there are between 18 and 20 functioning machines
at any given time.  The staff (and sometimes faculty) work hard to
bring up machines which often have only minor problems.  Our student
assistants, with one or two exceptions, are simply randomly chosen by
work-study administrators, so we have to train them
Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Director, the Globegate Project
http://globegate.utm.edu/french/globe.html