LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 20:51:13 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Sarah Withee" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Sarah Withee" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:41:16 -0600
>Subject: Re: #9492 Interactive White Board Recommendations
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Barbara,

   Smart board and Mimio are pretty close to identical in functionality.
The Mimio is less expensive, because it does not require a specialized
board to be installed.  You can use an existing white board.  For me, the
Mimio would be a great solution for classroom use.  It could be set up in
the classroom and then quickly and easily moved to another classroom.  Its
functionality is pretty much identical to the smart board (we have a smart
board in our language resource center).  They both come with software that
allows you to create drag and drop and other types of exercises, and both
(in theory) will allow you to convert handwritten text to type.  One of
the nice features of the smart or mimio board is that it allows you to
save notes written on the board, which you can then send to students or
post in a course management system.  Both boards allow you to annotate
webpages and other documents, which makes it very useful for doing reading
strategies exercises or critiquing student writing.

One of the problems with the smart board is getting people to come to the
language resource center to use it.  That is why I was thinking the Mimio
might be a better solution, because we could put that in people's
classrooms, in theory.  Most of our classroom still have blackboards, so
we would need to install whiteboards in order for this to work.

If you have other questions, let me know.

Sarah

Sarah Withee
Instructional Technologist
Colorado College