LLTI Archives

August 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:57:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:05:29 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5152.2 Mac Word 6-->Word 98 compatibility prob's (!)

------------------
On ours, the cyrillic wouldn't work unless the regular font was on
Chicago!  Don't know if that's always true, however.

Betty Woerner
Reed College

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> [...]
> this Software will meet your requirements or that the
> operation of the Software will be uninterrupted or
> error-free.
>
>   SUPPORT INFORMATION
>
>   If you have questions about this product, feel free to
> e-mail me at [log in to unmask]  Also, all suggestions
> for enhancements are welcome and appreciated.
>
>   SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
>
>   Microsoft (r) Windows 95/98/NT
>   Microsoft (r) Office 97/2000
>   Disk space: ~ 1900 K
>
>   INSTALLATION
>
>   Simple run CSDECODE.EXE.  Follow screen instructions.
>
>   Note: If you have reinstalled MSOffice (add or delete some
> applications) you may have reinstall "Charset Decoding"
> also.
>
>   DEINSTALLATION
>
>   Go to "Control Panel \ Add/Remove program"
>   Select "Charset Decoding"
>   Press "Add/Remove"
>
>   FEATURES
>
>   SYSTEM SUPPORT
>
>   For convert charset encoding with "Charset Decoding" you
> must already have support for that language on your Windows
> system.  Another meaning, "Charset Decoding" supports all
> types of charset encoding which were installed on your
> computer.  Basically Window s (especially Windows 95\98)
> does not support of Macintosh character sets.  For that
> reason installation of "Charset Decoding" includes NLS files
> (and setup procedures) witch enable support MAC encoding.
>
>   CUSTOM CONVERSION
>
>   On the "Tools" menu in the Office application, click
> "Charset decoding", then "Custom".  On the Custom conversion
> dialog box, choose values on the "Charset" and "Font"
> dropdown list boxes.  You can preview the text in the
> Preview area to check whether it makes sense in the encoding
> standard and font you selected.  Click "OK" to run "Charset
> Decoding".  Latest 3 cases of Charset will be stored on
> "Tools \ Charset Decoding" menu.
>
>   You can switch "Maintain existing format" to ON to keep
> document structure or switch it to OFF for faster results.
> Also, you can increase the speed of charset decoding by:
>
>    - disable test for already converted characters (option
>    "Keep wide characters");
>
>    - disable display changes on the monitor (option "Update
>    screen", with Microsoft (r) Word and Microsoft (r)
>    Excel);
>
>    - disable store changes to undo (option "Can undo", only
>    with Microsoft (r) Excel).
>
>   All these options will be stored to repeat the latest
> conversion.
>
>   REPEAT LATEST CONVERSION
>
>   On the "Tools" menu in the Office application, click
> "Charset decoding", and then choose type of charset encoding
> you want.  To run "Charset Decoding" for whole document you
> have to choose no selection or empty selection (without
> text) of the document.
>
>   NOTE
>
>   Some text objects of your document cannot be converted
> with "Charset Decoding".  There are "WordArt", "Chart" and

Betty Woerner
Reed College
Portland OR 97202

"Whatever you are, be a good one."  Abraham Lincoln