LLTI Archives

August 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:03:41 -0400
Dear Audry and fellow colleagues,

I have a similar concern and would truly appreciate any feedback you may have to
offer. I have recently become intern Director for our Language Resource Center
(due to previous Director's retirement) and at this point the position is 50%
LRC Director, 50% teaching. The person who previously held the position did not
have a PhD, and it was not a requirement. The situation becomes complicated
since I do have a Phd in Spanish, and am in a tenure track position. This is
totally new for our institute and college and we are not sure how this is going
to affect tenure requirements, teaching loads, etc. Also, I feel this position
should at least be a 66% LRC, 33% teaching since the LRC requires more attention
than it has been gotten the past and with just 20 hours a week, it seems almost
impossible to run adequately. (We are a modern language department with 20
faculty members.)

Does anyone have a LRC Director that is less than 100%? Again, like Audry, I am
interested in knowing the arrangements for teaching, tenure and director
responsibilities. I would also like to know salary differences between Director
and professor positions.

Thank you for your input,

Jean

Jean M. Janecki, PhD