LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:36:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Rob Reynolds <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:53:04 -0700
>From: Rob Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5707 software for video and audio processing on PCs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
For video, we are currently using Digital Origin's EditDV, although we have
also used Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Edit DV is nice because it works
so well with digital camcorders and comes bundled with Terran Media Cleaner
for exporting files.  Support from Digital Origin has been good.  Adobe is
still the standard product, even on PCs, and many students have already
learned  its uses in other courses etc.  We use both formats to cut down on
any learning curve.  In either case, you will want products like After
Effects and Terran Media Cleaner to produce really clean and flexible final
cuts.  On the other hand, if all you want to do is take already processed
clips and place them on the Web, Real Producer is a great product.  I should
add that both EditDV and Adobe Premiere allow importing from multiple
sources, digital and analog, including digital camcorders, VHS cameras, or
videocassette players.

For audio, we record, digitize, and edit our sound files with Sonic
Foundry's Sound Forge.  The program allows for multiple input sources and
offers an incredible array of tools.  It is also very easy to use.

We've experiemented a great deal with video and sound during the last six
months and have tried lots of software and hardware.  We work in an all-PC
environment.  I'd be happy to discuss with any of you the highs and lows of
our work.

Sincerely,

Rob Reynolds, Ph.D.
Director, Modern Languages Learning Center
University of Oklahoma
(O) 405-325-1352
(F) 405-325-0103