LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:33:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:25:52 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: TV5 experience

------------------
We just got our TV5 up and running, and I wanted to tell the tale,
and include all the pertinent phone numbers and URLs in case anyone
else is struggling through the process, as I *definitely* did.

I got little help from my in-house A/V and satellite guy, even though
I had been putting in requests for it for a couple of years.
Sometimein the early summer someone posted some info to this list
about the availability of TV5, and I passed that info to him -- but
he still didn't do anything.  So finally I called the main TV5 phone
number 1-888-902-5322 myself, listed near the bottom of the
http://www.tv5.org/usa/en.ante.rece.dish.html webpage, and talked
with a human being. He assured me that we could get the $100/year
educational institution price, but basically, he could do nothing
until we had a dish up.

I looked up the local DISHnet provider with the help of
http://www.dishnetwork.com/service/retailer.htm -- only he had
unfortunately never even heard of this $100/year educational price --
only residential or commercial prices.  He tried the 888 number I'd
tried before, but he was getting no reply back.

Finally, I had a brainstorm and had one of our native French teachers
leave a message on the TV5 888 number, requesting a call back, and
lo! I had the call returned within a half an hour! ;D  He gave me a
toll-free phone number for DISHnet Educational Institution
Subscriptions:  1-800-454-0837.  I spoke with a woman named Beth, who
was very helpful.  Her direct line 1-303-723-2841.  She told me that
I should have the local provider install the dish (we pay him around
$200 -- for the dish, receiver, and installation) and then to
activate it, we'd call DISHnet's customer call center at
1-800-454-0843 to activate it and specify that it was an educational
institution account, and they'll bill us the $100 annual subscription.

My A/V guy came into the picture near the end to make sure that the
feed was distributed across our campus cable system properly.

The TV5 program schedules are available on-line weekly at the
http://www.tv5.org website.

Cheers,
Margo

Margo Burns       603-229-4666     [log in to unmask]      http://www.sps.edu
      Director of The Language Center, St. Paul's School, Concord, NH