LLTI Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:47:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "JEFFREY J. HAYDEN" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Read Gilgen wrote:

> From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Has anyone had dealings with Cheng-Tsui?  We have a new Chinese prof
> who needs the tapes to accompany his text book ("Integrated Chinese"
> from Cheng-Tsui).  We think the prices are outrageous.
<snip>

> Unfortunately this prof didn't speak with us first to explore
> alternatives, so we'll be forced to go along.  (Also, unfortunately,
> he's here only a year until the regular prof returns to use his own
> materials.)  But I just wanted to get reactions from others of you.

One possible solution are the PDF Audio Files I created to be used in
conjuction with Integrated Chinese.  They can be found at

        http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jeffrey/

Look for Integrated Chinese Supplmentary Materials in the left frame, then
click on the Audio Files (PDF) at the top of the resulting page that
appears in the right frame.  Following that link will take you to a page
(the same content essentially as the Audio Files section from the page you
just came from), the bottom of which has links to my Audio Files.  Only
Lessons 1-11 are there; none of the Pre-lesson stuff is there, and I'm
still waiting for feedback before I decide whether or not to do the same
for Lessons 12-23 (it takes several hours to create one file, that's why).

In order to use these files, you need to DOWNLOAD and INSTALL the following:

        1. Aladdin Expander
        2. Adobe Acrobat Reader

Instructions and URLs are on my page.  The files work on both PCs and Macs.
Students click on text in the file to hear the audio.

Please contact me if you have any questions or difficulties getting the
stuff to work.  If you get them to work, please be sure the students try
them out, and also be sure to have the students contact me if the files
were of use so that I can decide whether there is a need for Lessons 12-23.

                                        Jeffrey

?       ?       ?       ?       ?       ?       ?       ?       ?
                        Jeffrey J. Hayden
                        (Õ$F5¡$FAæ'/§$FD¿sæs)

Department of East Asian                                              Moore
Hall 382
Languages and Literatures                               1890 East-West Road
University of Hawai'i at Manoa                                Honolulu, HI
96822

Books fo furnish a room.
--Anthony Powell

[log in to unmask]       http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jeffrey/