LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:27:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >From: "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Apple-based question
> >Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 05:55:58 +0200
>
> ------
> Now I would like to post one more language message that consisits of thre=
> questions that are apple-based.=20
>
>  Some time ago I came across a quiz on the Internet. I found it at a site
> for  teachers and students of English. The archive section is ready-made
> for use in the classroom.
> http://its-online.com  =20
>
> Three of the questions in the Apple Quiz were difficult to answer. Neithe=
> my students nor I knew the answers. So I decided to ask  native speakers =
> of
> English for help.=20
>
> First,  the fourth question, about  "Apples and pears". Do you know the
> rhyme? If you know it could you send the words to me? My students and I
> will appreciate your answer.
>
> 4. "Apples and pears" is Cockney rhyming slang for=20
> a.tables and chairs b.stairs c.steak and kidney pie
> (b is the correct answer)=20

It isn't part of a rhyme, but rather just a phrase that rhymes w/ stairs.
The evolution of Cockney rhyming slang is interesting. If my
memory serves me, supposedly it
originated as a way for Cockney workers at places like Billingsgate (the
large former fish unloading area and market near London Bridge) to
communicate w/ one another in language that their bosses or other
non-cockneys wouldn't understand. The first step was to have phrases that
rhymed w/ the word you wanted to use, such as "apples and pears" for
"stairs", but that soon led to truncation of the phrase so that for
"stairs" one would say only "apples".  "You'll also hear the phrase "My
Old Dutch" for "Mate", from the original rhyming phrase "My old Dutch
plate", or (I think it's ) "Trouble" for "wife", from the phrase
"trouble and strife".
 Cockney rhyming slang had its greatest popularity much earlier in
this century - now it is usually considered a quaint, but colorful part of
London's heritage. Our London contributors might be able to comment more
fully.
Ed Dente

"Nice night if it doesn't rain."
    -Joan Blondell, <<A Tree Grows in Brooklyn>>