LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:09:01 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: LLTI Digest - 17 Dec 2004 to 21 Dec 2004 (#2004-139)
>Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:36:53 -0500

We have just begun to use wireless computers in some of our classrooms, and
are trying to figure out the "best practices" for maintenance and
troubleshooting.  The computers are kept in a locked room, in a wireless
cart, and can be reserved by faculty for specific times and rooms.  We
deliver the cart to the requested room and leave it there, then pick it up
after the class is over.

One of the big challenges we've discovered during the course of our pilot
program is that of troubleshooting the computers when they're in the
classroom.  As some of you probably know from your own experience, there's a
fairly wide divide between Instructional Technology and User Services (the
Helpdesk).  While neither group has any particular expertise with
wireless--we're all learning as we go--Instructional Technology folks tend
to concentrate on the pedagogy of using the equipment, where User Services
concentrates on the hardware.

What do other schools do?  Who's on the "front line" when it comes to
classroom calls for wireless problems?

Thanks.  And have a great holiday season!

Cheers,
Sue

Susan Breeyear
Assistant Director, IT