LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:13:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:07:44 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6083.2 changes to the Language Lab

------------------
I think the concept of a lab hour may have to do with the size of the
institution. UF's programs are too large to offer this kind of monitoring.

I took over the Language Learning Center at UF 8 years ago, and my
impression is that for at least 10 years before that there had been NO
required lab time for audio. If there was, how could we accomodate all the
students?

The students have to do their labs, but they can do them at home with tapes
or online, or in the lab. One semester the elementary Spanish course decided
to stop collecting the lab manual sheets; halfway through the semester, when
students realized that there was material from the labs appearing on tests,
etc., they came in and tried to start listening with tape 5. Most of them
couldn't understand the audio. After that, I started giving little
orientations to the first-semester classes, with a canned speech worthy of
Disneyworld about the importance of doing the tapes each week to build up an
ability to understand the spoken language, and also of speaking out loud
with the tape (of course, this latter item doesn't apply to the
input-oriented tapes for other courses). Things really improved. If the
students are clearly aware that the tapes are going to help them understand
and speak in class, they are much more motivated to do the labs.

5 years ago, about half the students preferred to do their tapes in the lab,
the other half using the take-home program. When we moved to smaller and
less attractive quarters, the balance shifted in favor of take-home tapes;
now we have the materials for the elementary courses online, and we've lost
about 2/3 of our audiotape program. Strangely enough, however, we are
getting a new lab and EXPANDING our facilities!!!--a wall is coming
down--because there is such a need for a place for students to use the
specialized software/hardware we can provide, or learn how to use materials
available in other labs. Or just watch assigned video.

Well, back to choosing the new carpet <grin>...

Judy