FMPRO-L Archives

February 2011, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Rick O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:41:51 -0500
I just wanted to follow up on my final fix to the "one line" field. I understand Jeff & Mikhail's reasonings for just setting the field properties so that a Return triggers a "tab to next field." The biggest problem with that solution, for me, is that it is a layout-specific fix, not inherent to the field. If I use that field anywhere else in the solution (and I do) or add it anywhere (and I will), I have to remember to make sure I set the field layout properties correctly. So the auto enter function Left ( Self ; Position ( Self ; "=B6" ; 1 ; 1 ) -1 ) had lots of appeal and definitely met my needs. I do understand the issue of having a user type a bunch of info, only to have it erased by the Auto Enter. I also know most of my users know better anyway, but don't get me started on their screwups. :-)

So my final fix was to do both! I added a Trim to the AE calc, then set the fields to tab on the return key. So the user won't be able to enter data only to have it removed, but if I add the field somewhere down the line and forget the formatting, I have a backup. Works like a charm.

Thanks for all the help.

rick

On Feb 7, 2011, at 6:00 PM, FMPRO-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Date:    Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:57:12 -0700
> From:    Jeff Almquist <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Keeping a Field one line
>
> Rick,
>
> I strongly advocate Mikhail's suggested technique, which is to "edit
> this field's behavior and make it to use Return to go to next field",
> over the others suggested. In other words, don't even give users the
> opportunity to enter multiple lines into that field, or lead them to
> believe it's an option. Field validations and auto-entries won't
> trigger until after the user has spent possibly significant time
> typing multiple values into the field. Unceremoniously denying them
> after the fact might not be appreciated. Even worse, the user may not
> realize the substitution has been made, moving ahead with their work
> assuming the data has been stored. Think of the "use Return to go to
> next field" option as a gentle wizard, guiding users through the data-
> entry process.
>
> Jeff

___________________
Rick O’Quinn
Photographic Services Coordinator
University of Georgia
Public Affairs
Broadcast, Video & Photographic Services
188 Georgia Center
Athens GA 30602-3603
Work: (706) 542-8085
Fax: (706) 583-0011