FMPRO-L Archives

October 2011, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoff Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:33:03 +0000

The import destination is the table name, which resides in the file. Renaming the file doesn't rename the table (and you wouldn't want it to). So you're fine here so far.

> As we want to use look-ups, we need straight forward file paths.In
> the import window, FMP is retaining the filename of the file we
> copied to get the clone as the destination filename.

Somewhat different things. A lookup is a field attribute, where the field auto-enters from a related table. This is set in the field definitions dialog, and cloning or saving as a copy won't affect these. Again, if you're in the import window, you're seeing the internal table name as the destination, not the file name. You were already in the proper file when you initiated the import, so the name of the file you're importing to is irrelevant at this point. By default, FileMaker will name your first table after your file, so I can see where that might be confusing.

When setting a field to auto-enter via lookup, you don't really get to see a path. You've already joined your current table to whatever table you're looking up data from in the relationships graph; so when you go to set a field to lookup afterwards, you just see a menu with the available table occurrences you've set in relationships. The operation that you're doing shouldn't really have anything to do with lookups.

> Is this a problem? If so, how is it fixed?  Do we need FMP11 Server
> Advanced?

No. They just meant FMP Advanced. Server advanced gives you web publishing, XML, and other servery features; but no file-specific extras.

> We were advised on an FMP forum, that FMP Advanced would allow the
> creation of the new filename. Removing any reference to the copied
> file.  To this end we included Advanced in our site licence, but not
> FMP11 Server Advanced.

I think what they meant was, FMP Advanced has a developer tool, which will go through an entire file, changing every lookup, script, reference, etc. from one reference to another. One example of a need for this would be if, say, you split a database into 2 tables or files. A contacts database that has grown too big (and gotten slow) could be split into Customers (that we do business with daily), and Prospects (millions of records that are only occasionally referenced). In this example, I might keep Customers as it is (although with fewer records), and I would have to run my new Prospects database through the developer tool to change it's references. A bit of trouble, but it sure beats building a new one from scratch. ( I just made this example up so forgive me if I've mangled something, hopefully you get the idea.)

If you're not really changing the structure of the database in this way, then I think you wouldn't need this. If you are permanently renaming the file though, and it references other files, then you probably will.

It sounds like what you're doing is a common FileMaker task; saving a clone (which can remove corruption, empty blocks, etc.) and then re-importing the data. (which can remove data "corruption") The import is a one-time thing to repopulate and get the new clone going again. Then the old file is moved, renamed, archived; whatever to be sure the new clone wont accidentally find the old and reference it.

Hope that helps,
Geoff