FMPRO-L Archives

March 2010, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Angus Gilmour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:49:48 -0000
Hi

We have recently migrated to run filemaker on a server rather than a peer
network.  Altogether it is far easier to manage and generally much more
stable.  Backups are a doddle.  These are entirely bespoke and on the odd
occasion when we have needed to restore - these have been due to input
errors rather than machine crashes.

What I am a little concerned with, however, is why you are stuck in the dark
ages with an obsolete version of filemaker when you want to use a more
sophisticated method of hosting and sharing filemaker databases.  Why not at
least upgrade it to version 10 to take advantage of the many advanced
features.

That aside, the server we use for databases has a huge amount of ram, uses a
gigabit switch and the OS is MS windows server 2008.  We have FM Server 9
advanced and the workstations all have FM 9 pro installed.  The version
which I develop databases is FM 9 pro advanced.  It all seems to cope pretty
well - we have between 24 and 40 databases open at a time with between 7 and
9 uses connected.  Upgrade you software at the same time would be my advice,
for what it is worth.

Good luck in the migration.

Angus