FMPRO-L Archives

May 2011, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Weinshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 08:29:01 -0700
Hi John

I missed Salman's reply, and it helps if you quote at least part of the
post to which you're responding, so that, in this case, I would know what
Salman had suggested.

In any event, I recall your original post said something about 'not just
an audit', but that you seemed to be asking for exactly that-- a record of
who changed what, and when they did so. Or am I missing something and you
want more than that?

If you do, in fact, need basic auditing, there are many ways of doing so
natively, depending on how data is entered and modified, on how much
information you want to capture, and whether it's worth a separate table
or not.

In all cases, you will first want to define 'modify', most likely by
listing the fields whose modification would constitute a record
modification.

If data entry is all scripted, it's much easier to capture the changes by
setting variables to their starting value, comparing that with their
submitted value, and capturing any changes.

If data entry is not scripted, you can still use script triggers in much
the same way-- capturing the values of the key fields on field entry, and
again on field exit (field modification triggers work in a few
situations). Then write out the changes to whatever works in your
situation-- a single text field on the same record that contains its
history, or a separate table.

Another variation is to trigger an unstored field that uses the Evaluate()
function to change a timestamp when fields used in its arguments are
modified. Again, a trigger would be needed to write these out to someplace
searchable.

John Weinshel
Datagrace
Vashon Island, WA
(206) 463-1634
Associate Member, Filemaker Business Alliance
Certified For Filemaker 11