FMPRO-L Archives

October 2010, Week 3

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Stephen Wonfor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:39:52 -0600
Sue

Just took a look with FMP11A from one database to another.  The import shows the found set (15 of 2,514) when I load from a base table in one file into a base table in the other.
I do Anchor Buoy design (www.kevinfrank.com/anchor-buoy.htm or http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/six-fried-rice-methodology-part-2-anchor-buoy-and-data-structures/) so I always have base tables, they are the only tables I use for the context for a layout.  When I do a find on a layout it is inherently in the context of a base table - thus it honours the data in that table and is not a "view" of the data via a relationship.
The key might be in the context of the layouts.  If your layout is based on a non-base table (a Buoy in the AB design) I think it may be possible to not get the found set correctly.
If your design is not AB you may need to base your imports from purpose build layouts that rest on a context defined by a specialty base table. eg.  You might have a Contacts table but you would use ContactsExport base table to do finds upon.

I do a lot of inter-db imports this way.

If that still fails you might consider using a "one-time" key to write data from one db table to another via script.
eg. Set Get(CurrentTimeStamp) into a global and add a $Counter - eg. "10/29/2010 17:00:32 Count 1".
You would loop through the found set incrementing $Counter each time and update the global (with a Commit).  You'd have a join between tables that allowed creation of related records.
This works well - the only persistent issue is auto-enters in the receiving table (they can be handled but you need to be aware of them).

Stephen

"The physicist's greatest tool is his wastebasket."    — Albert Einstein