FMPRO-L Archives

September 2011, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Eiseman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:40:09 -0500
Having informed my client that IWP precludes the use of some script steps and some strategies, he responded that he would like me to develop two versions of their solution; one for access via IWP and the other for in their office via Server access ... yet have the two linked, accessing the same data.  Most of their users are in the office.  The client doesn't want me to 'dumb-down' his solution just so that a couple of remote users can access via IWP.

Rather than have two linked files, I suppose I could have just one solution and every time I reach a point where I'd like to use a non-web script step I test the user, and if he's accessing via IWP, then I execute one set of steps, and if he's not, I use a separate set.  But it seems that this would be very inconvenient to program.

I'm basically an amateur and don't know if two linked versions is possible, at least not easily.  Therefore, I'm hoping that there's a better way of accomplishing what the client wants that I'm unaware of.

If a client needs some users to access via IWP, must all users live with the constraints that IWP imposes?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

John Eiseman
St. Louis