FMPRO-L Archives

September 2011, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Corn Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:33:47 -0400
On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:40 AM, John Eiseman wrote:

> I'm basically an amateur and don't know if two linked versions is possible, at least not easily.  Therefore, I'm hoping that there's a better way of accomplishing what the client wants that I'm unaware of.

It is not only possible, but the product was designed to allow (but not force) you to do so.

One method you can use is to branch your scripting and layouts. No one can know if that's a viable option for you unless they look at your specific solution. The other option is to create a new file that uses the data in the existing file. Here's how:

1) Create a new file in the same folder as your existing file
2) Instead of creating tables in it, open up Manage External Data Sources
3) Create a new Data Source and locate the existing file
4) On the Relationships Graph, you can add a Table Occurrence using the button. When the dialog appears asking you to select the table, switch your data source from the pulldown at the top. You'll now see all of the tables from your file available to use

Note that you're basically starting over here, except for defining the tables and fields. Your new file will need relationships, layouts, scripts, value lists, etc. Through careful programming, however, it is possible to reuse some of the logic in your existing file. But as a self-described amateur, you should probably start by getting the basics of having two files working in concert.

Cheers,
-corn

Cornelius Walker
The Proof Group