FMPRO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:04:21 -0500
Seriously? I'm of the exact opposite opinion, Jonathan. There have been some amazing features for developers since v6! Think of how much faster you can develop now than you could back then.

7 offered the ability to have multiple tables -- and external tables -- in one file which (along with the addition of script parameters) made scripting easier.

8 gave us tabs, which totally reduced the number of layouts needed -- and the time to create them -- as well as the data viewer (which is HUGE for debugging and for writing new calculations). We also got custom menus, which helped to clean up our layouts even more.

9 gave us conditional formatting and auto-resizing, to make our layouts cooler and faster to create, as well as non-modal scripting windows (which is just the coolest!).

10 had the ability to insert objects into the tab order (huge time-saver), and script triggers, which gives us more control over the interface, and just about every other little thing.

11 has the Inspector (I like it!). It also has charts, portal filters and quickfinds: things that we've been creating for years, but are now native.

When clients ask me if they should upgrade, I always tell them about the cool new stuff I can offer them. But the biggest thing the most recent versions have to offer is that the clients won't have to pay for so many hours to get things done.

Paul

--
Paul Spafford
FileMaker Database Superhero,