FMPRO-L Archives

December 2010, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
David McQueen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 06:30:54 -0500
Hi David,

Regarding my points #3 and #4.

#3 - It is jarring and out of character ... The tool bar is not
neutral.  It has it's own colour and style scheme.  This may or may
not go with a client dictated colour and style scheme when open in
the balance of a program.

White would go a long way to helping. It is neutral.  That is a
personal observation and probably taste.  Your comments on perhaps it
being for the end user as deployed in their final product versus the
developer, is right on.  It makes it really obvious that it is "The
Tool Bar".  I like my final product to look as if it came from some
sort of whole cloth.

So this one is a touchy feely thing.

#4 Regarding the placement of the Tool Bar at the top. I have clients
wanting more and more to show on a single screen.  This is especially
true if their employees are good computer users. A full interface
with good mix of serial and lateral navigation (a) makes work flow
very efficient and (b) reduces the learning curve on the program.
This makes every inch of the screen real estate valuable.

However, I believe that to a large extent current screen designs are
consumer driven, specifically to give wide screen media reproduction
on the computer screen. With the exception of bookkeeping, where for
ledger purposes, the wider the better, even though we talk of a
paperless society, business is paper driven, specifically letter and
legal size, portrait orientation. That makes some screen real estate
for FileMaker usage more valuable than other parts of the screen.
The, depending on paper size where you are, 8.5" swath down the
screen with maximum depth to minimize scrolling is the real estate
used for WSIWYG forms. In some applications divorcing the data entry
from the final form is fine.  In others, seeing the actual form on
screen with a minimum of scrolling is very important. This is The
Prime FileMaker application screen real estate.  Unfortunately, this
is also, at the top of the screen, where the tool bar resides.

Dave