FMPRO-L Archives

June 2011, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jonathan Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2011 22:55:03 -0400
Just saying that FileMaker Advanced has tools to do what you want very easily. "Regular" FileMaker Pro does not. Call FileMaker and ask for an upgrade and pay the 200 clams (depending on your geographical/political location, of course) and get Advanced. Then start reading the documentation that is plentiful on the FileMaker site: http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/documentation.html

Another place to start is with the migration documents such as this one for FileMaker 8: http://help.filemaker.com/ci/fattach/get/9202/

You will get a lot of good information about moving from pre-7 files to 8, which isn't quite 11, but it is a lot closer to 11 than it is to 6, so the basic principles apply.

I'd also like to address another of your points: A table does NOT have to equal a file. A .fp7 file (FMP 7 - FMP 11 are all use the .fp7 file format) can have many tables and, as a matter of general principle, is a lot easier to work with when all your tables for a particular solution are in one file. It makes relating your files in the relationship graph a lot more intuitive.

Good luck, and keep asking questions. While it would be more efficient for you to read up and know the terminology so you can ask more accurate questions, please continue to ask about the parts that stump you.

j.