FMPRO-L Archives

May 2012, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Weinshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2012 15:52:57 -0700
I think, but am not sure, that, in each line of your second paragraph, you
mean:

"If the user checks B1, then uncheck all the A's except A3 and uncheck all
B's except for B1."

Is that accurate?

If so, I'm confused about how the logic of the first set of requirements
would work with the second. If, for instance, A1 is checked, then, by the
logic of the first set of requirements, the user could only touch B1,
presumably by means of a script trigger that would return the fields to
their values before a checkbox other than B1 were entered. Having managed
that, when B1 is checked, by the logic of the second set of requirements,
all A's save for A3 would be unchecked, including the controlling A1,
which would thereby remove the conditions imposed by the first set of
requirements. While this seems doable, I'm having trouble imagining a
scenario where it would be useful.

If my descriptions are fairly describing what you're trying to do, I can't
see enough of a pattern to encapsulate the logic into anything graceful,
and I'd probably write a script with a zillion "Else IF's", one for each
possibility. The result of each successful "Else IF" would be a loop
through the checkboxes. Loops like that run very quickly; just a pain to
work out the logic.

The fact that you're even considering calculations makes me wonder if I'm
understanding the problem correctly.

John Weinshel