FMPRO-L Archives

March 2013, Week 3

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:55:58 -0400
Hi Rowland,

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has dictation built in, but it requires an Internet connection to get to the Siri servers for "translation." You put your cursor into a field or other text entry area, press the hotkey to activate Dictation, and speak. The translated text is entered into the box. However, it will not interpret your "new record" command or your "tab" command.

There is a product called Dragon Dictate that will do what you want, including the commands, but it costs $200 and each user must "train" it with their voice. Here's an article explaining the differences:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2014417/mountain-lion-dictation-versus-dragon-dictate.html

I have used Dragon Dictate and it works well. There is definitely a learning curve for making the best use of it, but it works as advertised.

--
Steve Moore
Cumberland, Maine