FMPRO-L Archives

September 2011, Week 1

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:11:16 +0100
John

All users do not need to live with the constraints that IWP imposes. However, if you give FMP users functionality that is not available to IWP, then indeed you need some strategy to separate the two users. One way to do that would be simply to branch scripts appropriately, as you suggest.

However, it is probably more efficient and easier to program if you completely separate the two functionalities. You can have IWP users access completely different layouts (designed to be more appropriate for web users). Buttons on those layouts can be linked to completely independent scripts that provide the more limited functionality. You can name your layouts and scripts appropriately – using say a "iwp-" prefix for layout and script names associated with IWP.

The underlying tables (and therefore data) are the same, but the whole user interface is separate. That seems to be what you are after when you talk about 'two linked versions'.

If this is still not enough, you could always put all the IWP functionality in a completely separate file. You place table occurrences in the relationship graph from your 'main' (ie FMP) file, thus ensuring that the same data is used.

You may have read about the 'separation' model of Filemaker development, where there is one file containing all the data tables (but no or minimal scripts and layouts) and another containing all the interface elements such as layouts and scripts? I have used that on at least one occasion with multiple interface tables: one for regular FMP, another for FMGo, and another for IWP. This makes it much easier to manage these multiple methods of accessing the data. The disadvantage though is that sometimes a function has to be written or modified in three different versions. Still, since FMGo and IWP are so different from FMP, a similar amount of work might be required even if they all used the same file.

Does that help at all?

Steve