FMPRO-L Archives

October 2012, Week 3

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Corn Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:48:54 -0400
On 19 Oct 2012, at 8:29 AM, Jay Erlebacher wrote:

> Can anyone tell me exactly what the flush cache to disk script step/command does? (In FMP6)
> Does it add to file size?
> Does it speed up scripts in some way?

During normal operation FileMaker holds some things in two different caches - a memory cache and a disk cache - for performance. The size of the cache is controlled by the application preferences. The "Flush Cache to Disk" command ensures these cached items are written back to the file.

This is not the same as the "Refresh Window [Flush Cached Join]" command in FMP 7 and later, which is concerned with updating the relationships on the graph so you see the latest related data.

Cheers,
-corn

Cornelius Walker
The Proof Group