FMPRO-L Archives

November 2012, Week 3

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Corn Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:15:36 -0500
On 19 Nov 2012, at 1:10 PM, Steven James wrote:

> I'm looking for a consultant to assist my team with a new FileMaker 12 database to track photo rights for a series of magazines. Specifically we need help with overall table structure and relationship architecting.  We would handle the more mundane tasks, field definitions, layouts, navigation, look and feel, scripting, etc.
>
> We were hoping to find an experienced individual, rather than a consulting firm, as we're trying to avoid a long and costly scope gathering and requirements discovery process.

The breakdown of work seems interesting to me. Typically when I'm modeling data and its representation in FileMaker, that includes creating the fields. Or are you looking for more conceptual deliverables (pen and paper), while you'll perform the actual implementation in FileMaker?

I'm also curious about your last statement. Speaking personally, I don't do things differently whether I'm representing my company or doing a job on the side, and I can't see why anyone would.

Perhaps it's the expense that is the primary concern, with an individual being more likely to charge a lower rate than a firm? I can see that, as individuals don't typically have the additional expenses running an office entails.

In any case, good luck with your search.

Cheers,
-corn

Cornelius Walker
The Proof Group