FMPRO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:02:39 -0500
I would really like to see some new server functionality, like offline
database syncing, server mirroring, etc.  FileMaker really needs this to
be competitive with other datasources going forward.

	- John

On 1/26/11 8:31 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> You're right, of course, Jonathan. I always enjoy watching
> discussions about new features people would like. There are always a
> few really good feature requests that I never would have thought of.
>

> -- Paul Spafford FileMaker Database Superhero, Spafford Data
> Solutions
>
> Tel: 613 838 9956 www.paulspafford.com
> www.ottawafilemakerdeveloper.com www.fmlayoutmode.com
>

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:32 PM, Jonathan Fletcher wrote:
>
>> Totally agree with you, Paul. I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud.
>>
>> I would never go back to where I started with FM4, and I'm REALLY
>> liking 11 a lot more lately. But it's not done.
>>
>> In a glass-half-empty sort of way it's frustrating to see where
>> FileMaker is NOT. Looking from that perspective can't help but skew
>> one's thinking and reinforce the negative.
>>
>> When you have to restart one of your several servers every few days
>> because it just wants to take the afternoon off you get an
>> attitude. (I have a client that has a boatload of SQL and FMP and
>> the SQL guys just shake their heads and chuckle.)
>>
>> When you have to manually update layout elements all over a large
>> solution to reflect one tiny little change, you dream of better
>> tools.
>>
>> When your users are griping at you that the solution that was built
>> to accommodate THEIR convoluted way of working is running so slowly
>> they have to plan it around their lunch hours, you are stuck
>> between a rock and a FileMaker. (Don't talk to me about bad design:
>> it's been optimized by some FM gurus waaaay smarter than me.)
>>
>> When you have to spend 30+ grand on a super fast server so your
>> critical data can be backed up in a timely fashion throughout a
>> high-data-volume day and not shut the place down every time you
>> think you should grab a snapshot...
>>
>> I know it's easy to be a grumbler. The goods really do outweigh the
>> bads. That's why I'm still here. I KNOW we have it good.
>>
>> That does not mean we cannot wish (and pray to the gods of Santa
>> Clara) for something even better.
>>
>> Or at least bug-fixes.
>>
>> j.
>>

>> On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:04 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>
>>> Seriously? I'm of the exact opposite opinion, Jonathan. There
>>> have been some amazing features for developers since v6! Think of
>>> how much faster you can develop now than you could back then.
>>>
>>> 7 offered the ability to have multiple tables -- and external
>>> tables -- in one file which (along with the addition of script
>>> parameters) made scripting easier.
>>>
>>> 8 gave us tabs, which totally reduced the number of layouts
>>> needed -- and the time to create them -- as well as the data
>>> viewer (which is HUGE for debugging and for writing new
>>> calculations). We also got custom menus, which helped to clean up
>>> our layouts even more.
>>>
>>> 9 gave us conditional formatting and auto-resizing, to make our
>>> layouts cooler and faster to create, as well as non-modal
>>> scripting windows (which is just the coolest!).

> [...]

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions             [log in to unmask]

              Twitter: http://twitter.com/pointinspace/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PointInSpace/

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers