FMPRO-L Archives

May 2011, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Wenmeekers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 13:14:59 -0400
On Wed, 25 May 2011 08:29:01 -0700, John Weinshel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi John

Hi John....

>I missed Salman's reply, and it helps if you quote at least part of the
>post to which you're responding, so that, in this case, I would know what
>Salman had suggested.

Sorry, I sent a reply directly from my mobile email program. No 'quote'
button there....
I should not use new toys.....without mastering all the features....

Salman suggested a plug in.
We try to use only native functions in FileMaker, if possible.

>In any event, I recall your original post said something about 'not just
>an audit', but that you seemed to be asking for exactly that-- a record of
>who changed what, and when they did so. Or am I missing something and you
>want more than that?

It is a little bit more.
We already use an (adapted) audit log system. (based on Ray Cologon's AuditLog)
That will log the changes and return the changes all in one field.

What we need is the possibility to use the data about the changes to
generate reports.
Like:
how many changes on a specific record during a day, day range, week, month.
Which field has the most changes.
Which change happens the most...

I only see this possible if we push the changes, not in a field, but in a table.
Table = records = data = possibility to use functions = generate reports.

We have already a system to capture meta data from tables and work with the
results.
Only the changes to fields and records is a gap.

I hope this is a little more clear.

In Kindness

JW