CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:06:07 -0500
Missed DOC winter weekend?
Went on a winter wekend trip and want MOARRRR??

No biggie - there are plenty of awesome CnT trips going out during this
week, and this weekend!

It's the perfect time to get outdoors, because you know you'll want to be
on campus for Winter Carnival weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
Dinertopical! 6:40 AM, Chelsea Station, South Royalton Vermont
Rsvp to [log in to unmask]

Forgive me Dartmouth for I have sinned. I have failed to engage in
"serious debate" about the "issues" "afflicting" our "college" (including
excessive quotation marks). I have deleted D-article re-posters from my
newsfeed, and I have failed to understand why the administration discusses
things besides providing the best possible undergraduate education and
career options upon graduating. I can redeem myself, though! I shall take
thy students to Chelsea Station in South Royalton, Vermont (weather
permitting). We shall turn greek systems into greek salads, scrambled
dreams into scrambled eggs, and bodily fluid omelettes into regular edible
omelettes. We shall sit at a table and know in our hearts that one day we
will not have to travel far for that utopian social space. One day
Dartmouth itself will be a diner.

The ride is free, bring small bills.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

---WINTER SKILLS WORKSHOP---

This workshop will include sections on steep snow travel (ice ax and
crampon use), snow shelter building, winter route-finding, winter trip
organization (gear and food), and other related topics.

We are leaving on Friday after 2?s and hiking up to Hermit Lake shelters,
at the bottom of Tuckerman Ravine on Mt. Washington. We will spend
Saturday practicing skills, either in the ravine or while hiking up to
Lion?s Head, depending on conditions. We?ll hike down in the late
afternoon, and aim to be back to campus on early evening Saturday.

**Important**: This workshop will also include a mandatory classroom
session sometime on Wednesday, either 4-5:30 PM or 9:30-11 PM (when you
sign up, blitz me your preference).

This workshop (besides being fun!) is a requirement for being a winter-
certified Cabin and Trail leader, and also one of requirements to become a
basic Winter Sports Club leader. So we especially encourage aspiring or
current leaders to sign up.

TO SIGN UP: Blitz Matt Pickart ([log in to unmask]) your
DASH number; the cost is $15, and includes food and lodging at Hermit
Lake. Also include in your sign-up blitz your preference for the timing of
the Wednesday classroom session. There will be a limited number of spots
on this trip, so we will not be able to take everyone who signs up?so
**sign up by Tuesday (today) night** if you want to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Hike and Sled - Mt. Washington Edition! DESCRIPTION: Are you ready for the
best winter trip of your life?? You had better be, because this Saturday
we're going to go sledding on Mt. Washington! We'll hike 2.5 miles up the
Tuckerman's Trail to the Hermit Lake Shelter, where we'll eat a hearty
lunch before embarking on the greatest sledding experience New England has
to offer! We'll be taking the Sherburne Ski Trail down, a 3 mile long, 25-
foot wide trail featuring a mix of curves, straight aways, and even a few
jumps.
If the sledding isn't enough to convince you to come, this trip will
feature the legendary Matt Dahlhausen '11 (sledding expert), Eric Ross
'11, Kevin Miller '10, and Jen McDonald '11, all of whom are totally
awesome people! Basically this is the trip of a lifetime - don't miss out!
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: The hike up is relatively strenuous, and the sled
down is pretty extreme. Some experience in both winter hiking and sledding
is recommended.
COST: $8 DOC, $15 non-DOC
TIME: Meet behind Robo at 7:15AM, get back to campus at around 6:00PM
QUESTIONS: Blitz Max Deibel

PEMIGEWASSET SKI TRAVERSE
Description/Difficulty: Come (cross-country) ski through 21 miles of
gorgeous wilderness, from one side of the Pemi Wilderness to the other!
The Pemi has it all -- brooks, rivers, evergreen and deciduous forests
coated in snow, ups and downs ... (This traverse avoids major mountains --
i.e. is skiable.) Think soft snow through pine trees ... However, this
trip is challenging and is *not* for first time skiers.
When: Saturday, 6am - 6pm. Breakfast AND lunch will be provided!
Cost: $10 for DOC members
Blitz Annie Laurie Mauhs-Pugh with DA$H, shoe size, and dietary
restrictions to sign up!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

THE BEST SUNDAY MORNING:

Feb 5th

Leaving at 6:30 from Robo, this will be a short hike up Gile to see the
sunrise with breakfast (and hot chocolate!) once we reach the fire tower.
If the snow stays we can cross country ski on the unmaintained road close
to the trailhead. Return time depends on if we end up skiing, but it
definitely won?t be later than 12. Yaaaaaaay winterfun!

$3 for DOC, $5 non-DOC

Blitz Alexa Krupp to sign up

Come hang out at CnT meetings, 10pm on Mondays in the Basement of Robo, to
get first dibs on signups for trips during that week

If you've a trip suggestion, and would like to make it happen, come to the
planning meeting at 9:30 in Robo 110, so you can find a CnT leader to lead
it with you (anyone can co-lead a trip!)

If you're part of an organization and want to take a whole group on a CnT
trip, blitz our outreach chair, Vipul Kakkad with questions!