CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sun, 22 May 2011 10:09:10 -0400
On during 11X???

Summer is coming, and we know that everyone is looking for something fun and meaningful
to add to their summers in Hanover. Make that thing .... SUMMER DREAM!

***INFO SESSION TONIGHT MAY 18th at 7 PM IN ROCKY 1*****

***APPLICATIONS DUE TO THE DREAM ACCOUNT BY MIDNIGHT ON SUNDAY MAY 22nd****

There are two chapters of DREAM at Dartmouth. Both work with at-risk youth in
affordable housing communities in the Upper Valley area. DREAM is a nonprofit
organization that was founded by Dartmouth students nearly ten years ago and has
since spread throughout Vermont colleges (check out www.dreamprogram.org for more
info).  Mentors are paired one-on-one with a kid who they ideally stay with for
their entire time at Dartmouth. At Dartmouth, DREAM continues over the summer,
so we need some extra mentors to take over for non-sophomores who aren't on 11X!

For summer DREAM, the only non-negotiable time commitment are Friday sessions
from 4-6 at Dartmouth (if you will be unavailable more than once or twice Friday
afternoon, please do not apply - it really disappoints the kids) However, Most
people spend between 4 and 10 hours per week doing DREAM stuff. We have community
events on weekday evenings, and some hang out times or field trips on the weekends.
We strongly recommend that you participate in our other activities, like community
classes and dinners with the kids and their parents, camping trips, weekends at
DREAM's camp in Vermont, and various field trips.

This is a great chance to get to know an amazing kid and be a part of the larger
Upper Valley Community. If it turns out that you really love DREAM, there is also
a chance to continue with the program after this summer.

The attached application is due at midnight on May 22nd after which we will be
contacting applicants for interviews. Please blitz your application to DREAM.

Please feel free to blitz the account, or anyone in DREAM, with questions. Current
co-chairs are Jenny Lamb, Anne Rosenblum, Maritza Miller, and Somi Kim will be
organizing the interview process.