RUCKUS Archives

Sustainable Dartmouth

RUCKUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Rosalie E. Kerr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rosalie E. Kerr
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2022 21:52:18 +0000
Dear RUCKUS,

We wanted to reach out and let you know that we are heartbroken about Sam’s death, right on the heels of Joshua's. We spent the day speaking with many of you. It feels like words are pretty inadequate. We have to DO something.

We tried to imagine what that thing was. We ended up thinking it’s a shift not a thing. For example, we need to shift to focusing on really seeing, hearing and connecting with each other. We need to prioritize wellbeing and care, not just striving. We need to shift to building caring community, not just rewarding juggling all the things and making it look easy.

That said, there are things we can do.

One thing was advocacy: advocating for you, your mental health and transforming our culture to be more about connecting and less about achieving.

Another thing is brining us together. In community. One on one. In teams. Often and in an ongoing way, not just today.

Tomorrow, we are going to have open hours in the Commons kitchen on the second floor at Irving. 11am-12:45pm

Come by if you want. We’re going to make lunch (pasta with fixins -farm tomatoes, pesto, cheese etc, to accommodate all palates and dietary needs)  and we’re going to bake chocolate chip cookies. You can come cook, come eat, come bake, come hangout, come talk or just come sit.

The Susty Team (Laura, Marcus, Rosi and Jack)