come
IMG_0574-X3.jpg
hiking
BRY_0356-X3.jpg
with
20190714_135237-X3.jpg
us!
IMG_4185-X3.jpg
(or come and eat food with us, because we do a lot of that, too!^)

CnT leads lots and lots of hikes, cabin overnights, and assorted shenanigans in all weather! And you can borrow any and all winter/rain/hiking gear that you might need - from warm layers to zero degree sleeping bags to rain pants - for FREE!!!! (Just ask!)

Your gear options include but are not limited to:

  • hiking boots!
  • puffy jackets!
  • shell pants/rain pants!
  • rain jackets/windbreakers!
  • balaclavas!
  • sleeping bags!

If you'd like to get outside this weekend, sign up for any of the trips below by blitzing the email or clicking the link provided with your dietary restrictions and shoe size!

 As always, blitz the leaders with any and all questions!

This week, extra beginner friendly trips (including trailwork!) are marked with BLUE (plus you can always check the levels or ask a leader for advice) ((notes on the level system at the end of the email))!!

Also, this Saturday is a DOC-wide stewardship day!! In collaboration with the ESD (Environmental Stewardship Division of the DOC), we are sending out 2 trail work trips on Saturday, which will be meeting back up on campus for a dinner celebration at 5! In addition to these two awesome trips, we also have two trips going out to put solar panels on Harris! Yay stewardship!

All stewardship opportunities are in GREEN

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY What: Naptime at Nunnemacher!
When: Leaving Wednesday 7/17 at 8PM and returning around 9AM Thursday morning (times are flexible though)
Why: Relaxing, sleepy night in a cabin! Come eat snacks, be cozy, look at stars, and de-stress a little. Also Madylin wants to bring an axe and that would be entertaining.
Level: 1 (short uphill hike to the cabin)
Leaders: Madylin Partridge and Colin Goodbred (heeler)
Cost: Nothing at all!
Blitz: [log in to unmask] to sign up with any requests to borrow gear and dietary restrictions!
THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY Set Up Solar at Harris! It will be Thursday 1-4. Its your only chance to help the DOC install solar on a cabin for the FIRST TIME EVER!! This trip is open to everyone, no experience necessary. Blitz [log in to unmask] if you want to come!
THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY DOSqueeze! Come cool off and drink lemonade with us on Robo steps (rain location is Fauxbo) (second floor Collis)
SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY What: Mt Cannon+Candy!
When: Sat 9-5 (maybe back sooner!)
Why: 3.7 miles, bag an easier 4000 footer, get some sweet ~views~, then get some actual sweets (candy)!! We will visit Chutters by Mt Cannon, home of the world's longest candy counter! Wooohooooo
Level: 2.75
Leaders: Fionnuala Murphy (leader) and Ted Northup (heeler)
Cost: freeee (bring small bills if you wanna buy candy)
Gear: hiking boots, daypack, raincoat, (all can be borrowed for free!)
Blitz: [log in to unmask] with gear requests and dietary restrictions to sign up!
SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY What: Trailwork! (from Dorchester road to Holt's)
When: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Why: Trailwork is fun! You get to use axes and chop blowdowns. Maintaining our trails is also one of CnT's responsibilities. (There are two trailwork trips this weekend, this one involves less uphill hiking)
Level: 2
Leaders: Madylin Partridge
Cost: Free!
Gear: 2 liters of water, sturdy shoes/boots, some layers, rain gear just in case (you can borrow this from DOR if needed)
Blitz/link: blitz [log in to unmask] with your dietary restrictions and any gear you need to borrow to sign up
SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY What: Smarts blowdown clearing and privy roof fixing (trail work!!!)
When: 8:30AM-4PM
Why: There are beefy blowdowns and a ripped roof on Smarts. We will fix them. Frank wants a new chainsaw. Come do stewardship with us!
Level: 3 (relatively steep 8 mile out and back, some ax swinging and roof hammering, pretty hot)
Leaders: Geordi Geier and Frank Sapienza
Cost: Freeeeeeeee!
Gear: A day pack to carry sunscreen and extra water. Bring at least 3 L of water. It will be 96 degrees on Saturday!
Blitz [log in to unmask] to sign up!
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY What: Solar Panel Installation!!
When: 10AM - 5PM (or earlier depending on how much left there is to do)
Why: CnT is putting solar panels on one of our cabins for the FIRST TIME EVER. Come have a hand in wiring the place up, and learn about how we might push solar power out to the rest of the chain soon.
Leaders: Jacob Chalif
Gear: Close-toed shoes, two liters of water, a headlamp (so that you can see into dark corners of the cabin as we're wiring up)
Blitz/link: blitz [log in to unmask] with any dietary restrictions (or snack/lunch requests) to sign up

See ya out there this weekend,

Kevin and Rachel

A note about levels....

Level 1: Short, easy, super-beginner friendly hikes at a leisurely pace with relatively little elevation gain. Think Gile sunsikes and trips to Mink Brook!

Level 2: Slightly longer but still beginner friendly hikes with slight elevation gain, typically half day trips! Think Holt's Ledge or Moose Mountain!

Level 3: Longer trips with moderate elevation gain and mileages! Think Smarts and Cube!

Level 4: Longer trips with more significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Franc Ridge or the Kinsmans!

Level 5: Trips with the most significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Madison, Adams, and Washington!