Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, the Nunnemacher overnight is next Monday, 5/13!

Matt and Eli

From: Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 6:00 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: THIS WEEK IN CABIN AND TRAIL

Dearest hikers,

HAPPY SPRING WEEKEND!!! Spring weekend, much like fall weekend, is when the DOC tries to get AS MANY PEOPLE TO HAVE FUN OUTSIDE AS POSSIBLE! And all our Saturday trips will end with dinner and an optional overnight at the Lodge—FREE! If you’ve been putting off trying out Cabin and Trail, this weekend is a great time to give it a go.

Signups for all trips go straight through the general DOC this weekend, so keep an eye out for the DOC blitz of this weekend’s trips coming out soon! But to keep with tradition, here’s your regularly scheduled CnT email. Check out the trips below and sign up through the DOC form tomorrow! Feel free to email the leaders listed with any questions or confusion.

Wright’s Mountain at sunset around this time last year

Once again for the people in the back, trip signups should be done through the DOC’s email! But if you don’t get the email or are confused email the leaders listed for each trip!

This week, extra beginner friendly trips (including trailwork!) are marked with READY-FOR-SPRING-WEEKEND RED (plus you can always check the levels or ask a leader for advice) ((notes on the level system at the end of the email))!!

MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY

What: Nunnemacher Cabin Overnight!
When: 9:00 p.m. Monday - 9:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Why: We're going to Nunnemacher! Theme is post-postmodernism. Come embrace the void. It'll be a great time!
Level: 1.5. There's a half-mile uphill to the cabin, but nothing difficult.
Leaders: Matt Magann '21 and Eli Boardman '21
Gear: Some warm layers, 2 liters of water, and a sleeping bag.
Blitz: [log in to unmask]

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

What: FEED!
When: 7:00 at The Rock (https://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml)
Why: Free food and great people! Come get to know the people of CnT. Walking train from behind Robo at 6:45, no need to sign up!

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

What: RORIENTEERING!
When: Fri 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Why: Learn how to use a map and compass and more with quality human and DOC advisor Rory Gawler.
Level: 0
Leaders: Rory Gawler '05
Cost: $0
Blitz/link: Blitz either [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: CnT/WIW Spring Weekend Moosilauke
When: Depart 12:00 PM Saturday, return ~10 PM Saturday or ~9:30 AM Sunday
Why: Enjoy the sunshine on this 7.4 mile hike, the closest 4000-footer to the Lodge's famous bread. We'll move at a decent pace and be on the lookout for postholing!
Level: 3
Leaders: Libby Decker '20 and Sarah Lehan '20
Cost: Free!
Gear: Non-cotton layers (short sleeve, long sleeve, puffy or fleece), hat and gloves (to be safe), hiking boots and microspikes (all borrowable from DOR)
Stay tuned for the Spring Weekend email from DOC directorate to sign up! Blitz [log in to unmask] with any questions.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: ~Chill Cannon Hike~
When: Meet behind Robo at 11 am (sleep in, yay!) so we can get to Moosilauke by 6.
Why: Cannon is steep, and there is probably still some ice, but it’s only 4 miles! This is a super special hike because
1) It's Spring Weekend, and you should hike! The forecast looks great.
2) Cannon is the former home of the old man of the mountain, which tragically collapsed on May 3, 2003--just over 16 years ago! Wild.
3) We get to sleep in :’)

Level: 3.5
Leaders: Henry Burns and Sam Newman
Gear: 2 liters of water, hiking boots, a day pack, and whatever you need for staying at the lodge (if you want to stay at the lodge)! Any gear you might need (including sleeping bags for the lodge) is FREE!
Blitz/link: blitz [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] with your shoe size, dietary restrictions, gear rentals, and any questions you might have!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Mt. Washington!
When: 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (ending at Lodge Dinner)
Why: Mt Washington is the highest summit in the Northeast, and it's an amazing climb via the Jewell Trail. The snow's mostly gone up top, but expect some cold conditions and (hopefully) some of the best views out there! 10 miles round trip.
Level: 5. This is a difficult hike, with long sections above treeline, and we'll keep a good pace.
Leaders: Matt Magann '21 and Alida Angafor '21
Gear: Multiple warm, non-cotton layers, a rain/wind shell, a daypack, 3 liters of water, and microspikes. You can borrow from the DOC!
Blitz/link: [log in to unmask]

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Ascutney Brunch Hike!!
When: 7am-1pm
Why: Start your weekend off right with a moderate 6.4 mile hike! Afterward we will stop at a diner for brunch. Our van will return to Hanover around 1pm, but there will be opportunities to get a ride from Hanover to the Lodge for dinner later if you want to go up for Spring Weekend.
Level: 2.5
Leaders: Nick Samel ’20 and Sophie Smith ’20
Cost: Freeeeee (we will not be covering diner food though)
Gear: Water, hiking boots, a small daypack, layers (preferably non-cotton). Can borrow from DOR! Bring small bills for the diner.
Blitz/link: Blitz [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] with dietary restrictions and gear-borrowing requests!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

What: Mystery Hike
When: Saturday 12-6pm and then will go to Lodge Dinner for Spring Weekend
Why: Because you know you crave the thrill and adventure of going on a mystery hike!
Level: 2 (will be no more than 5-6 miles)
Leaders: Kyle Bretherton
Cost: Free!
Gear: Some warm layers, boots that can handle mud, microspikes
Blitz: [log in to unmask] with your shoe size and any dietary restrictions

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Moose Mountain trailwork
When: 9am-4pm
Why: Because taking care of our trails is fun and you get to use fun tools to chop trees and build things! The friendship, snacks, and food are good too
Level: 1-2
Leader: Ned Darling ‘19
Cost: FREE!
Gear: layers, 2 liters of water, and some waterproof shoes or boots (all layers and boots can be rented for free)
Blitz: [log in to unmask]

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Mount Ascutney!
When: 9AM to 3PM
Why: It's a fun moderate hike for a nice Sunday! It'll be 7 miles round trip, with a wonderful lunch at the top.
Level: 3
Leaders: Dev Jhaveri and Dillon Ford
Cost: $0.00
Gear: Hiking boots, warm clothes, and a daypack
Blitz: [log in to unmask]

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: MOOSILAUKE!!! via Gorge Brook Trail
When: Sunday 9-5
Why: Ignore the Sunday Scaries as you hike the very scenia Gorge Brook Trail up Moosilauke! It is about 7 miles. It will be a very ~chill~ and fun group of people! (PLUS there will be some good snacks for those of us who are already running out of dba).
Level: 3
Leaders: Fionnuala Murphy '21 and Ashley Lewis '22
Cost: freefreefree
Gear: Water Bottle, Micro spikes, Hiking Boots,
Blitz/link: [log in to unmask]

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: A Funky Franc Ridge Hike
When: Sunday Sunday Sunday 8am-6pm
Why: Come hike with Anna and I! Franc Ridge has been a long term dream of mine and am finally sending it! Be there 2 send with us hehe. We will be taking it at a very manageable pace btw Leeza has bad knees
Level: 4/5
Leaders: Anna Ellis and Leeza Petrov
Gear: TBD but probs spikes/overboots + puffy -- all can be borrowed from DOR!
Blitz: [log in to unmask]

NEXT

TUESDAY TUESDAY TUESDAY,

BUT MARK YOUR CALENDARS

What: Armington Woodsmens Overnight!
When: Tuesday May 14th 5:30/6 pm - 9am the next day (we can be flexible on time)
Why: Have you ever wanted to chop wood? Or just hang out with woodsmen? On this overnight you will have the opportunity to do both!
Level: Annie Furman and Katie Hoover
Cost: $0!
Gear: Let us know if you need a sleeping bag, we will provide food etc.
Blitz/link: [log in to unmask]

A note about levels....

Level 1: Short, easy, super-beginner friendly hikes at a leisurely pace with relatively little elevation gain. Think Gile sunsikes and trips to Mink Brook!

Level 2: Slightly longer but still beginner friendly hikes with slight elevation gain, typically half day trips! Think Holt's Ledge or Moose Mountain!

Level 3: Longer trips with moderate elevation gain and mileages! Think Smarts and Cube!

Level 4: Longer trips with more significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Franc Ridge or the Kinsmans!

Level 5: Trips with the most significant elevation gain and mileages! Think Madison, Adams, and Washington!

TOR

-Katie and Kevin