Brigham Frandsen (Brigham Young University) will present:
"Judging Judge Fixed Effects: Testing the Identifying Assumptions in Judge Fixed-Effects Designs"
at 3:20pm on Wednesday, November 28, 2018 in 310 Silsby.

Please sign up for a meeting, lunch, or dinner at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zUMM5onp_FWp5wZVA4hyZ4WP5SKGW9EGKa3Zt75349Y/edit?usp=sharing

ABSTRACT:
We propose a test for the identifying assumptions invoked in designs based on random assignment to one of many "judges." We show that alternative sets of identifying assumptions, including the traditional parametric instrumental variables approach, the LATE monotonicity and exclusion restrictions, and recently developed relaxations of monotonicity all share the implication that the conditional expectation of the outcome given judge assignment is a smooth function of the judge propensity to treat. The implication leads to a regression-based test that generalizes the Sargan-Hansen overidentification test. We show the asymptotic validity of the testing procedure, demonstrate its finite-sample performance in simulations, and apply the test in an empirical setting examining the effects of pre-trial release on defendant outcomes in Miami.