Campbell Flats produced some interesting (and late) birds this morning. I hadn't intended to stay long, but the rain stopped just as I arrived, and enough intriguing birds popped up that I couldn't leave. I overlapped briefly with Bill Shepard, who came later and left earlier, but I couldn't find either of his 2 Philly Vireos.

Highlights from my eBird list:

Virginia Rail  1     Flushed from emergent vegetation at edge of beaver-flooded meadow. Seen only from behind as it flew away and disappeared, but distinct orangey-ochre coloring distinguished it from Sora, which was seen and photographed at this exact location > a month ago.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
American Kestrel  1 male
Merlin  1
Least Flycatcher  1     Observed clearly and at close range; small size, wingbars, tear drop-shaped full eye ring
Eastern Phoebe  4
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  3
House Wren  1
Swainson's Thrush  1     Seen and heard calling
Gray Catbird  4
White-throated Sparrow  9
Savannah Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  16
Swamp Sparrow  5
Baltimore Oriole  1     Probable Immature male; observed clearly. Extensive orangish breast and chest, prominent white wing bars. No black on throat.
Common Grackle  125     In corn, many in flight feather molt
Northern Waterthrush  1     Observed at close range, calling, in exact location as bird seen yesterday.
Tennessee Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  3
Cape May Warbler  2
Yellow Warbler  1     Observed clearly at close range; large warbler entirely yellow, including tail. Probable immature male
Palm Warbler (Western)  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Indigo Bunting  5

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48647761

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x202
http://vtecostudies.org/

To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask] Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe: E-mail this command to [log in to unmask] UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask] CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]