Pinar Keskin (Wellesley) will present:
"Breaking the Cycle? Education and the Intergenerational Transmission of Violence"
at 3:20pm on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 in 310 Silsby.

Please sign up for a meeting, lunch, or dinner at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PeOeLj4NlnbV2Slroe5hwwlXQWoMfztmKfkbIuWuduY/edit?usp=sharing

ABSTRACT:
We estimate the causal effects of education on the intergenerational transmission of violence against children by exploiting an extension of compulsory schooling in Turkey. Using a regression-discontinuity design, we find that the reform increased maternal education by one year, with stronger effects for women raised in rural areas. The increase in education among rural women led to a reduction in the perpetration of child physical abuse but only by mothers who were physically abused by their own families during childhood. Exploring potential channels, we document that these women were also more likely to experience improved mental health outcomes.