Hello All,

Although most of you are probably in some wonderful vacation destination, I'm hoping some of you may have had experience with this issue and can help us. Or, at the very least, this can be a warning or a heads-up to other users of the textbook product in question.

One of my colleagues in French has an issue with a Cengage product and Canvas. We just moved on to "Horizons" ed. 7, for our first year classes. This coincides with the release of the online product MindTap for this particular textbook.

My colleague is trying to integrate some of the MindTap exercises into a Canvas course shell. Many of the exercises cause a "fail" message and will not integrate. After much ado, it turns out that this is due to diacritical marks in the titles of said exercises. WHAT? This is French and there are a lot of these!

Have any of you come up against this issue with Cengage's MindTap? I am flabbergasted that after buying up much of the language textbook market, they could produce a product for learning French that cannot work with one of the major learning management systems because of accent marks.

Anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions or solutions? (Besides creating our own materials between now and the start of the fall semester.)

Thank you for your help.

Carol

Carol H. Reitan, Ph.D.
Distance Ed Coordinator
Ed Tech Dept Chair
Instructor of French
City College of San Francisco
50 Phelan Avenue, Box A-5
San Francisco, CA 94112
http://www.ccsf.edu/ETD
Distance Learning Quick Links for Faculty